Our bodies come in all sorts of sizes and shapes, and all are beautiful, however, clothing companies can be quite difficult, and while it would be super helpful if they listed all the different body shapes as well as clothing sizes, they don’t.
So, for those of us who have a pear body shape, an item of clothing that is in our size, won’t necessarily fit well with the uniqueness of the pear-shaped figure.
Finding the right clothing can be stressful, but if you find the right attire, you can flatter your figure, and feel confident in your style.
Even if you do not feel super happy with your body, the right clothing can boost your confidence and help you celebrate yourself a little more.
The Characteristics Of A Pear Body Shape
The pear-shaped body is a very common body type among women. It is characterized by having a bottom and hip size that is wider than the bust and shoulders.
If most of your upper body is slim and your weight tends to be carried around your hips, you are most likely a pear shape.
If this is reminiscent of your figure then we can certainly help you to find clothing that will spruce up your wardrobe and make you feel like a fine wine whenever you get dressed in the morning!
If your body type has the following you are a pear-shaped body type:
- If your shoulders are narrower than your hips, your shoulders may also be sloped.
- Small top half/ torso, and a small bust.
- Full hips and/or thighs.
- A defined waist, due to larger hips.
- Weight gains tend to appear around the hips, lower midriff, and thighs first.
- Legs are muscular and/or full.
Styling A Pear Body Shape
Pear body shapes are heavier on the bottom, which tends to create an imbalance with the upper half of the body.
This means that when you are going to dress this body type, you want to try and deviate some of the attention away from the hips and towards the upper body and your defined waist.
This is an attempt to create an illusion of more volume on the upper half of the body, while still emphasizing the waist, but creating less emphasis on the lower half of the body.
Doing this can generate a more balanced silhouette if this is what you are looking for.
Note: While many women who have this body type may want to draw attention from their larger hips, this is not the case for all, some may wish to draw more attention to their wide hip shape.
How To Highlight The Torso/ Upper Body
To visually add more weight to areas of the bust and shoulder, and thus create less of an emphasis on the thighs and hips will balance out the silhouette of the body shape.
So, how can this be done?
Well, there are several techniques you could try to do this:
- Create a focus on structured shoulders to help to widen the shoulder line visually.
- Wear brighter colors on your torso, drawing more attention to it.
- Purchase a good-up bra to help to lift your chest.
- Make use of textures, prints, and details that are eye-catching, creating more interest in your torso.
- Avoid any boxy tops that may hide your waist.
- Try layering (Also check out What Is Lagenlook?) the top half of your body, as it will create visual interest and will draw eyes more upwards.
How To Take Focus Away From The Lower Body
If you want to create the illusion of a less pear-shaped proportioned body then you will need to de-emphasize your hips and thighs and balance them out with your upper body.
- Try wearing darker colors on the lower half of your body to take attention away from it.
- Stay away from embellished pants, trousers, and skirts that may draw more attention to the lower section of your body.
- Avoid tight and skinny bottoms that may emphasize your wide hips.
- Avoid patterns, and details, thigh pockets, hip pockets, and belts on your hips.
- Keep the lower half of your body clean and uncluttered.
Fashion Designs To Keep An Eye Out For
While the basics of dressing a pear-shaped body include taking focus away from the hips, some styles of clothing can help you naturally.
Some dresses are simply better for pear-shaped body types, and some trousers will be flattering. So, before we leave you to ponder your wardrobe, let’s give you a few ideas!
The best dresses for a pear-shaped body would be flare skirts and A-lines. These will skim past the hips but won’t cling.
Wrap-type dresses can also be great as they tend to cinch you in at the waist, which creates a slim-lining silhouette.
The best tops would be tops with a wide neckline, or off-the-shoulder styles.
However, pear shapes can benefit from any tops that allow you to experiment and have fun, bright colors, detailing, ruffles, statement sleeves, or patterns all work well.
Pear shapes should avoid skinny trousers if they do not wish to accentuate their figure. Instead, it is best to favor flares and straight-legged pants.
Flares, bootleg, wide-leg pants, or even harem pants can all work well as they skim past your hips, and they’re usually comfy too!
If you have a pear-shaped figure, and you want to avoid your hips always being in the spotlight, then there are plenty of ways you can use clothing and fashion to your advantage.
Whether you love wearing skirts and dresses or prefer pants and shorts, you can tailor your dress code to help draw attention away from your hips.
Harem pants, A-line dresses, colorful tops, and more can all help you. But remember, you look best in whatever makes you feel comfortable!