The term ‘slim thick’ is a super popular aesthetic term that started off within both celebrity and popular culture.
In recent years, this term has also gone on to be frequently used within the gym and training community, as well.
But, is slim thick a healthy body aspiration to work towards? Better yet, if it is, then what are some ways that you might be able to achieve this body type?
If you’re asking yourself these questions, we’re here to help.
In this guide, we are going to be explaining exactly what slim thick means, why you should be wary of using this particular body term, as well as some exercises that you can do to help build your lower body healthily.
Just keep reading.
What Does Slim Thick Mean?
So, what does the term ‘Slim Thick’ actually mean? Well, slim thick (which can sometimes be spelt as slim thicc) is a term used to describe a certain body type popularized by social media.
While it started off as a commonly used term within popular culture, the term has now found its way into the world of gym-goers and fitness enthusiasts, alike.
So much so, that an average of 3 thousand people search the term on Google each month!
Used to describe a certain type of female body shape, a ‘slim thick’ figure is typically used to describe a woman that has a small waist, a flat stomach, wide hips, as well as a big bum and thighs.
According to the categorisation, in order to be considered slim and thick, you will also need to be physically fit and toned.
Is Slim Thick Healthy And Attainable?
Even though social media might celebrate this body type, is being slim, thick , healthy and attainable? Well, along with taking into account your individual anatomy.
It is also very important to note that there is a mental health risk associated with feelings of wanting to achieve a certain body shape or appearance.
There are a great variety of mental health issues that can occur if someone finds themselves striving to achieve a certain body type in order to fit in with beauty trends or social media, such as feelings of depression, body dysmorphia and much more.
Even though it’s great to want to feel our best, it’s important to not let social media shape our opinions of what our bodies should look like.
Instead, we should be focused on being healthy and fit – and this is something that can look very different for everyone.
As for the potential health risks that might be associated with a slim thick body shape?
Even though individual health risks should always be determined by a doctor for accurate help and guidance, a “slim thick” body shape has been linked to a greater risk of developing chronic health diseases such as hypertension, cardiovascular disease and potentially even diabetes.
Why Do Some Women Have A Slim Thick Body Shape?
There are a few different reasons why someone might have a slim thick body shape.
Below, let’s take a look at some of the most common reasons that might determine whether someone might have a slim thick body shape:
- Genetics: This is one of the biggest factors that will determine the shape of a person’s body. What your height is, the width of your hips and many other factors will greatly influence your body shape, including your bone structure, the amount of muscle you have and even where you naturally store fat.
- Gender: Gender will also greatly affect natural body shape. In general, women tend to be a lot less muscular and store more fat in the lower body area, while men tend to be more muscular and store fat more distributed throughout the body.
- Age: As we age, our bodies might naturally begin to change due to body fat, metabolism, muscle mass and even the effectiveness of the metabolism. When combined, all of these factors can greatly affect the natural body shape. Pregnancy might also affect the shape of a woman’s body.
Can Your Body Shape Be Changed With Diet And Exercise?
One of the biggest questions that many people ask is whether or not they will be able to change their natural body shape through diet and exercise.
Well, if you’ve ever tried to healthily lose weight, then we’re sure that you’ll have noticed how your diet and weight can greatly affect how much weight you can lose.
But, while this might very well be the case, is it possible to also achieve a smaller waist and a stronger lower body, as well?
Unfortunately, the answer to this question isn’t as simple as a mere “yes” or “no”.
Even though it is certainly possible to transform your appearance through following a healthy diet and working out, there is going to be a physical limitation in accordance with your body’s natural anatomy.
Of course, while it might be possible to change your natural body composition to a certain extent, it’s very important to keep in mind that all bodies are worthy and beautiful – regardless of appearance.
If you would like to improve your natural body composition, then this is something that you will be able to do. This brings us to our next section!
Best Exercises For Improving Natural Body Composition
If you would like to improve your natural body composition and build your muscle, there are a few exercises that you will be able to do to achieve just that.
Here is a quick breakdown of some of the best exercises that you can do to improve your overall body composition and build muscle:
- Do plenty of kettlebell exercises to achieve a full-body strength workout. These are awesome to try.
- Incorporate a variety of different lower body exercises to help build your glutes. If you’re in need of inspiration, this is a great exercise to try next time you want to workout!
- Improve your overall body composition through full body workouts that incorporate cardio with strength training. This will help to tone your physique and help you to appear more shapely and toned, if this is something that you would like to achieve.
Along with making sure that you do plenty of exercises that are targeted towards building body strength and improving overall body composition – you can also consider opting to hire the help of a personal trainer who will be able to provide you with additional training tailored towards you.
The Bottom Line
You’ve made it to the end of the guide! After taking the time to read through this guide, we hope that we have been able to give you a better idea of what the term ‘Slim Thick’ means.
As well as this, we also hope that we have been able to explain why it’s so important to focus on staying fit and healthy, rather than aiming to achieve a certain body type.
Thank you for reading through this guide once again, and we wish you all the best on your fitness journey.